For the last few weeks, I’ve been hearing countless complaints and gripes. Many conversations have entailed the stressed monotones of CBU freshmen experiencing their first round of college midterms.

I call it, “midterm madness.”

Now, as an art student, I never feared midterms, to be honest. This is mostly because, well, I only had two – one for Oral Communications and another for Design Thought Foundations. Studying for both just meant reviewing some notes and being prepared to write a lot, neither of which fazes me.

So when friends, or even a roommate, would vent their midterm madness stress to me, I did my best to empathize… but couldn’t. I considered myself lucky, almost unfairly so, and a little slacking, because as a graphic design and photography student, I don’t really have to worry about a boatload of midterms looming like a storm over my head for two weeks.

But just as midterms for non-CAVAD majors began winding down… the projects hit, and boy was I wrong about “slacking.”

I don’t mean to complain, because in all honesty I do enjoy creative projects. But when, for example, a CAVAD major suddenly has four projects and two essays due in one week, things get rough.

The last four days for me have entailed nonstop work. My eyes are a little fried from all of the computer screen time, and to be honest I’m feeling a little low on creative juices. By the time I’ve gotten to bed shortly after midnight each night this week, I’ve had a hard time falling asleep because my brain is still on high-speed productive mode. After trying for a half hour to fall asleep for a short nap yesterday, I eventually came out of my bedroom and said to my roommate, “Oh well. My brain won’t shut up.” Back to work.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the opportunity of the challenge to do multiple projects on top of each other within a time constraint, because I know that’s what the “real world” will be like after graduation, and this is excellent practice. But this week, readers, I probably won’t be giving an emotional goodbye to them.

If anything, after this week I’ll feel incredibly accomplished as a growing designer, and for that I am very grateful. I’d take that over “midterm madness” anytime.