The School of Business would like to welcome Dr. Joel Bigley to the Business Program!
What classes will you be teaching?
Organizational Management BUS 463
Global Management BUS 545
How long have you been a professor?
I have been teaching and coaching people for more than 25 years in a variety of environments, however, this is my first full-time professor position at a university.
What other schools/universities have you worked at?
This is my first official professor role, however, I have lectured at USC, UCLA, and Pepperdine.
What made you pick CBU?
I noticed a dedication to excellence across the board. Since joining up, I have been very impressed with the faculty, both new and existing. I am really looking forward to working together with them and learning from them. I am sure that the students will be impressive as I learn more about them through class experiences.
What do you like to do in your free time?
I enjoy camping, hiking, boating, the beach and skiing.
Tell us a little about yourself:
- Born in Nairobi (prior to independence and so I could have been British).
- Attended a British elementary school (I had a British accent and like tea).
- Went to an MK boarding school (so I am adventurous and did things I would never let my children do).
- Went to high school in Pennsylvania (lettered in three sports and so I am [very] competitive).
- Attended John Brown University and achieved 2 Associates (Engineering Technology and Pastoral Ministries) and 2 Bachelor’s degrees (in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering).
- Was a missionary on the Uganda/Sudan/Kenya border where I met my wife (so I have many interesting stories about escaping death).
- Was married in Germany (and she is still a German citizen).
- Spent another year as a missionary in Kenya (so I can talk about spending your first year of marriage alone with a new wife with no telephone, internet, TV, or radio).
- Achieved an MS in Operations Management with an emphasis in Technology (and so can talk about going to college while raising a family).
- Worked for 25 years in top leadership positions (and so have a keen interest in leadership efficacy).
- Achieved my Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership from Pepperdine (with honors, first in my cohort to be done, longest Dissertation in the history of the school [and it’s all good stuff]).
- Have the privilege to join the ranks of faculty at CBU (and so am thankful for the blessings experienced and I am looking forward to the blessings that are still to come).